The “Ignite” sessions are a new addition to the Jean-Paul Dionne Symposium. Just 5 minutes in length, Ignite sessions are very short and the pre-recorded presentation must follow a particular structure. Ignite presentations are grouped for the conference into sets on a common general theme, such as ‘health and human services’ or ‘exploring methodology.’ During an Ignite session, a moderator briefly introduces each pre-recorded presentation and the presentations are then shown in rapid succession, one following another. Presenters are expected to be available for Q&A once the presentations are complete.
Before the Conference
- Submit an abstract for peer review using the submission platform on our website
Preparing Your Presentation
- Once your submission has been accepted, you will receive an email with your reviewers’ comments. Make sure to address any pressing comments in your presentation.
- You can make an mp4 file or use PowerPoint or a similar program to create your presentation using the following specifications:
- You must prepare a 20-slide presentation.
- Your slides should advance automatically every 15 seconds for a total time of 5 minutes.
- We recommend you practice a few times before recording to ensure smooth transitions between your ideas.
- Record your presentation:
- Maximum 5 minutes. Presentations will be stopped at the 5-minute mark, so please be mindful of this time limit and of the format.
If you would like some advice on how to best prepare your pre-recorded
presentation, please find some helpful resources here for you:
- Creating a self-running PowerPoint presentation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-a-self-running-presentation-57fc41ae-f36a-4fb5-94a3-52d5bc466037
- Using Zoom to pre-record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmMSXOQVQs4
- Using PPT to pre-record: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/record-a-presentation-2570dff5-f81c-40bc-b404-e04e95ffab33?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us
- Example of an Ignite Talk: http://www.ignitetalks.io/
- Send your pre-recorded presentation by the Monday before the conference at firstname.lastname@example.org
During the Conference
- Attend the Ignite Session; we will play all pre-recorded videos in succession.
- You will have an opportunity to answer questions in the second half of the session.